NZCGI's research and development programme is funded through the compulsory grower levies.
The levy rates for the year 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017 are:
- Fresh mandarins: 1 c / kg
- Fresh grapefruit, lemons, and limes : 1 c / kg
- Fresh oranges and tangelos: 1 c / kg
- All citrus fruit intended for processing : 0.3 c / kg
The levy order requires the compulsory levies to be collected and paid on all fresh citrus fruit sold. It is a legal requirement and this levy must be paid to NZCGI
For the purpose of ascertaining compliance with the whole of citrus levy, the collection agent must, in each levy year, keep records of:
- the name of the grower and purchaser,
- the quantity of citrus purchased for sale or export,
- the quantity of citrus sold or exported on behalf of growers, and
- the amount of levy collected and paid to NZCGI.
For auditing purposes and the reconciliation of all levy payments, NZCGI requires a summary of records outlined in items 1 to 4 above.
A collection agent must also:
- retain the records prepared for at least two years after the date of payment to NZCGI, and
- for the purposes of determining the amount of levy payable, provide NZCGI with a copy of those records.
To download the 2016 / 2017 NZCGI levy payment form for all citrus click here.
Other industry personal and growers who do not produce citrus commercially (ie if the orchard is not currently productive) may still be members of NZCGI. Please fill out an application form. More information is available here.